There’s still enough of summer left to enjoy some light and healthy appetizers for family gatherings. These vegetarian bean curd wraps are perfect for sharing when you want some small bites or a snack. They take no time to make and they are high in fiber and light on calories that you won’t feel guilty eating a few too many. These ingredients are essentially all available at super market except for the bean curd sheets. They can be found at your local asian market or chinatown and come down to like $3-$5 a whole pack and can be frozen if you cannot use it all at one time.
Recipe: Fried Vegetarian Tofu Skin Wrap
Prep Time: 30 minutesServes: 8 people
- 2 Cups Carrots, skinned and julienned
- 2 Cups Celery, cleaned and julienned
- 2 Cups Mushrooms of preference (Enokitake mushrooms), thinly slice
- 3 Beancurd sheets
- 1 Tbsp Cooking oil
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp Black vinegar
- Toasted sesame seeds
1. In a large sauté pan, on medium heat, drizzle 1 Tbsp of oil and allow it to h
up. Put all the cut vegetables into the pan, and stir-fry for 5-8 minutes until
2. Remove vegetables and put on a side plate to cool.
3. Take tofu sheets out of the plastic bag and place on a clean working surface.
Cut off about 3 inches from either side, leaving two straight edges. Do not
discard the cut-off pieces, which can be stir-fried later for vegetables to your
4. Place a mixture of the vegetables on the middle of the tofu wrap about 1 ½
inch in diameter. Leave about 1 inch away from the edges of the tofu wrap.
5. Fold the bottom to the top and secure the vegetables in place. Be careful not
to ripe the tofu sheets. Roll from the bottom up, eliminating as many air
bubbles as possible, cutting the excess off at the end. Use two toothpicks to
secure the edges so that the contents do not fall out of the sides.
6. Follow with the rest of the tofu sheets until all of the vegetables have been
7. In a clean sauté pan, over medium heat, pour 1 Tbsp of cooking oil and allow
the oil to heat before placing the wrapped bean curds onto the pan. Allow the
bean curds to cook until golden brown on each side, turn over as appropriate.
This will take about 7-8 minutes.
8. After both sides are golden brown, remove from the pan and cut into desired
pieces for serving, about 1 inch in thickness.
9. Place onto serving plate and proceed with the sauce.
10. In a heated pan, pour in all the condiments and stir until sugar is dissolved.
Drizzle the sauce onto the bean curds.